Thursday, January 24, 2013

Strength

A year ago, I could barely do a single push-up. Oh sure, I could do a few girl-style, but those are for girls! A few months ago, my karate teacher decided that push-ups will be required for stripe and belt tests. Only 5 for white and yellow belts, 10 for orange and blue belts, 15 for green belts and above. It makes sense, after all, a punch is basically a push-up position and to hit hard, you need upper body strength. But my first thought was "oh crap"!

So I forced myself to do push-ups with the kids during warm-ups. Stretch, 5 push-ups, repeat. We end up doing 15 total, including the white belts! After a couple months of doing this twice a week and maybe a third day a handful of times, it's getting easier! In fact, the other day, I did the whole 15 push-ups in a row! And then did a second set of 15!

Now, after my own little blunder, the kids now do three sets of 6 push-ups. Last night I was asked when we could go back to 5. Um, we're not. Push-ups make you strong, I am proof of that!

So here is another goal for the end of 2013, I want to do 50 push-ups in a single set. I don't think that is unreasonable. And anyone who knows me, knows that I am stubborn and determined!

No comments:

Post a Comment