Monday, September 12, 2011

My running history...

I have almost none. As a kid, I played softball for 9 years until I fractured my foot. Then I did nothing. Got married, had 3 kids. Still nothing. Finally, nearly two years ago, I begged my husband to get a treadmill. I need to lose the generous amount of weight I had somehow gained doing nothing. He reluctantly agreed and we both started the Couch to 5k program.

There were many struggles. And some shin splints thrown in there for good measure. And Shaun and I finally made it to our first 5k in August of 2010. I didn't run it straight through, though I did finish! I ran my second 5k a few weeks later (again, did a little walking too). Then I slacked off. I started up again over the winter and ran my third 5k this past August.

I admit, I have really struggled with running. Not just physically, but mentally too. From shin splints and general shin pain to mental barriers I just couldn't get through. I had never felt good running. It always seemed as though I was just blundering through, in a constant state of struggle.

Then I discovered barefoot running. I was very intrigued. So I kept reading and researching. The more I discovered, the more it made sense to me. I felt this was my answer. So a few weeks ago, I bought a pair of Merrell Pace Gloves.

I decided to use the Couch to 5k program to transition. Three weeks into it and I have never felt better! My form is better, I have more speed, I feel lighter on my feet. Although I have had some aches and pains and strained muscles, I feel GOOD running for the first time in almost two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment